CAP301 Perioperative Skincare
CAP301 Perioperative Skin Care considers the theories and practices associated with perioperative care. Students will draw from knowledge gained in earlier subjects to advance their knowledge and understanding of wound healing sequelae post operatively, and appropriate care at these differing stages.
Broad understanding of surgical wound closures and dressing is canvased.
Additionally, oncology care is discussed, and the techniques of corrective makeup are provided.
There are no prerequisites for this unit.
On completion of this unit the student will be able to:
- Distinguish between the various wound classifications
- Appraise and differentiate normal and abnormal wound healing process and progress
- Interact successfully with surgical practitioners and provide practical assistance where required and according to instruction
- Assess appropriate pre-surgical skincare treatment plans for various surgical interventions
- Evaluate ongoing post-operative healing processes and determine corrective clinical care to assist optimal healing
- Construct treatment plans appropriate and customised to the changing healing presentation
- Characterise the specific needs of oncology skincare
- Implement successful oedema management with lymphatic drainage
- Conceptualise effective corrective make up treatment plans and client education
Graduate Attributes (GA)
In addition to the unit-specific learning outcomes listed above, the following graduate attributes are taught, developed and assessed in varying degrees within this unit:
- Knowledge of applied health science theory and practice
- Knowledge of the social, cultural, global and environmental responsibilities within healthcare delivery systems
- The ability to communicate effectively with clients, peers and the wider community
- The ability to demonstrate in-depth competence in their area(s) of specialisation
- The ability to formulate and apply therapeutic interventions in their area(s) of specialisation
- The capacity to lead, manage and/or work effectively with multi-disciplinary and culturally diverse teams
- Awareness of professional and ethical responsibilities and a commitment to ongoing professional development and life-long learning.